- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 lbs (900 g) (about 8 cups) onions – peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 6 tbs red wine vinegar
Makes 24 servings of a generous tablespoon
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy sauce pan over low heat. Add the sliced onions and stir in the sugar, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook gently until onions are very soft, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Add red wine and vinegar, simmer uncovered until mixture is thick and onions are very tender, about 1/2 hour. Depending on personal preference, more vinegar or sugar can be added during the cooking time.
- Season confit to taste with additional salt and pepper. Cool
This tasty confit is a perfect accompaniment for a slice of terrine. If time is running short, onions or big shallots cut in larger pieces and braised a golden brown, reduced to a tepid temperature, may also be substituted.